Rolls-Royce to deliver mtu Series 2000 IMO III yacht engines to US for first time
Posted on February 16, 2022
- Two mtu 16V 2000 M97L engines with integrated SCR systems for Westport 125 yacht
- Propulsion system to be dual certified for IMO III and EPA Tier 3 Recreational
- mtu NautIQ Blue Vision NG automation solution also part of scope of delivery
Rolls-Royce is delivering its new generation mtu Series 2000 engines which comply with the strict emissions regulations IMO III and EPA Tier 3 Recreational for the first time for a yacht to be built in the US. Rolls-Royce will provide two 16V 2000 M97L engines with integrated SCR system and a power output of 1939 KW (2600 bhp) each. The engines will be installed in a Westport 125 yacht. Rolls-Royce is also delivering its automation solution mtu NautIQ Blue Vision NG for monitoring and control of the yacht’s propulsion system. The 38m yacht will be built in Westport Yachts’ shipyard in Westport, Washington, USA. The project continues the close and proven cooperation between Rolls-Royce, distributor Pacific Power Group, and Westport which includes a long history of projects over more than 30 years.
Daryl Wakefield, President of Westport Yachts, said: “We are proud to have Rolls-Royce’s cleanest mtu marine engines in our newest motoryacht. They ensure maximum power, reliability and ease of mind to our customers who can concentrate on enjoying their yachting adventures.”
Christof von Bank, Director, Marine, Americas at Rolls-Royce business unit Power Systems, said: “It’s fantastic to be pioneering our new and most environmentally friendly generation of the proven mtu Series 2000 with our partner Westport. This is an important milestone for the next evolutionary stage of this engine series as well as for our efforts to become a provider of integrated sustainable solutions.”
The new generation mtu Series 16V 2000 M97L engines are equipped with integrated Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems significantly reducing nitrogen oxide emissions. The IMO III certification of the propulsion system will enable the Westport 125 to sail in particularly emissions-protected areas, which are defined as ECA zones, such as the US & Canadian coast, and the North and Baltic Seas. The first pre-series engines of the new Series 2000 generation were delivered to a customer in 2021. Series engines are now available for sale and further engine variants will gradually be added to the portfolio.
Rolls-Royce is pioneering marine applications with sustainable solutions from the bridge to the propeller. The company will approve the use of sustainable fuels, such as synthetic diesel (second generation biofuels or e-diesel) from 2023 in the new generation of its mtu Series 2000 and 4000 engines, enabling climate-neutral operation in almost all applications. In addition to the use of sustainable fuels, the company is also building on new technologies such as CO2-free fuel cell systems and methanol engines. Smart-ship solutions that help captains with situational awareness and navigational assistance are also expected to help reduce CO2 emissions and increase safety on-board during the customer’s next adventure.
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matters to connect, power and protect society. We have pledged to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions in our operations by 2030 (excluding product testing) and joined the UN Race to Zero campaign in 2020, affirming our ambition to play a fundamental role in enabling the sectors in which we operate achieve net zero carbon by 2050.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 150 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces and navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
- Annual underlying revenue was £11.76 billion in 2020 and we invested £1.25 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc is publicly traded company (LSE: RR., ADR: RYCEY, LEI: 213800EC7997ZBLZJH69)