Rolls-Royce and Ferretti Group agree on sustainable course: New yachts with mtu hybrid and IMO III propulsion systems
发帖 日 月 年 (08 九月 2021）
- Ferretti Group to offer new yacht with mtu hybrid propulsion in the next few years
- Rolls-Royce to deliver first IMO III propulsion system pilot for production yachts to Italian
- Digital solutions improve performance and availability of mtu engines
Rolls-Royce Power Systems and Ferretti Group are deepening their cooperation and jointly developing sustainable solutions for future yachts. A first major milestone is a cooperation to install a mtu hybrid propulsion system of Rolls-Royce in a new Ferretti yacht. Alberto Galassi, CEO of Ferretti Group and Andreas Schell, CEO from Rolls-Royce Group's Power Systems Division, signed the agreement on 8 September 2021 in Cannes during the Yachting Festival. “In recent years, Ferretti Group has reported rapid growth and development, bringing beauty and innovation to the marine industry. But, if we want to continue to grow steadily as a market leader, it is essential to
address the economic, environmental and social impacts produced by our activities and to mitigate our footprint,” explained Alberto Galassi.
High performance paired with quiet, low-emission driving
Rolls-Royce will supply a fully integrated hybrid mtu propulsion solution with an output of approximately 1,432 kilowatts per powertrain, comprising two 12-cylinder Series 2000 M97 diesel engines, electric drive modules, gearboxes, batteries, control and monitoring systems, other electronic components and a Selective Catalytic Reduction system (SCR) for compliance with IMO III regulations. “We are very pleased to bring new high-tech solutions to the market with our long-standing partner Ferretti Group,” said Andreas Schell. For yachts, a hybrid system brings high performance and significant gains in terms of comfort – with quiet, low-vibration and low-emission cruising. A hybridized propulsion system is a response to stricter emission regulations in many ports and regions all over the world. In pure electric drive mode, no sulphur, nitrogen oxide or particulate
emissions are exhausted.
Sustainability in the focus of the yacht industry
“Customers in the yacht industry are increasingly asking for sustainable solutions and we are vehemently supporting this course with our sustainability programme NetZero at Power Systems”, said Andreas Schell. Rolls-Royce will certify its 2000 and 4000 engine series for fuels such as e-diesel and second-generation biofuels from 2023, enabling climate-neutral cruising. In addition to using sustainable fuels, the company is building on new technologies such as CO2-free fuel cell systems.
Custom line 106 yacht receives first IMO III mtu propulsion pilot for production yachts
A custom-line 106 yacht from Ferretti will be fitted with an mtu propulsion system as a pilot installation later this year that is IMO-III compliant, allowing it to sail in specially protected areas (ECA zones such as the North American coast, the Caribbean, the North Sea and the Baltic Sea). The SCR exhaust after-treatment, supplied by Rolls-Royce with the 16V2000 M97L mtu engines as an integrated system, significantly reduces particulate and nitrogen oxide emissions.
New mtu engines in Ferretti yachts offer digital service solution
From the beginning of 2021, all mtu engines for Ferretti yachts will be delivered with the digital mtu-Go solutions. This enables the yacht operator to monitor the engines remotely himself or to leave this to the mtu Customer Care Centre. In this way, operator data can be analysed in the future and
recommendations for action for better performance and availability of the engines can be derived and maintenance planned.
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matters to connect, power and protect society. We have pledged to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions in our operations by 2030. We joined the UN Race to Zero campaign in 2020, and have committed to ensuring our new products will be compatible with net zero operation by 2030, and all products will be compatible with net zero by 2050.
- Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and employs around 9,000 people. The product portfolio includes mtu-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry as well as diesel and gas systems and battery containers for mission critical, standby and continuous power, combined generation of heat and power, and microgrids.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 150 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces and navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
- Annual underlying revenue was £11.76 billion in 2020 and we invested £1.25 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc is a publicly traded company (LSE:RR., ADR: RYCEY, LEI: 213800EC7997ZBLZJH69).
Thanks to Italy’s centuries-old yachting tradition, the Ferretti Group is a world leader in the design, construction and sale of luxury yachts and pleasure vessels, with a unique portfolio of prestigious and exclusive brands: Ferretti Yachts, Riva, Pershing, Itama, CRN, Custom Line and Wally. Led
by Chief Executive Officer Alberto Galassi, the Ferretti Group owns and manages six shipyards located across Italy, which combine the efficiency of industrial production with typical world-class Italian craftsmanship, reaching customers in more than 70 countries across the world thanks to a direct presence in Europe, the United States of America and Asia and its network of approximately
60, carefully-selected dealers. The Ferretti Group motor yachts, utmost expression of Made in Italy elegance and creative genius, have always stood out for their exceptional quality, cutting-edge technology, record safety and optimum performance in the sea, as well as their exclusive design and timeless appeal. For more information: www.ferrettigroup.com