Rolls-Royce will deliver mtu naval gensets for F126
Posted on September 05, 2022
- Order for 16 mtu 20V 4000 M65L gensets made in Germany signed
- mtu variable speed gensets fulfil IMO III emissions directive
- Rolls-Royce scope of delivery now encompasses onboard power and automation solutions
DAMEN Naval and Rolls-Royce business unit Power Systems have signed a contract to deliver 16 mtu diesel generator sets, for the four new F126 Frigates for the German Navy. Although DAMEN and Rolls-Royce, whose business unit Power Systems is based in Friedrichshafen, Germany, have a long-standing cooperation in shipbuilding, this is the first time a contract has been awarded for mtu naval diesel generator sets. According to Managing Director of DAMEN Naval, Hein van Ameijden, the choice was based on Rolls-Royce’s high-end naval-oriented mtu solutions and experience on the high-end naval market. “We are delighted to announce the news of this contract and the fact we have found another German partner for this prestigious and important project for the Bundeswehr. We look forward to working with Rolls-Royce and its mtu solutions again.”
Efficiency, fuel savings and maintenance reductions
The onboard power of each F126 vessel will be provided by four mtu Series 4000 variable speed gensets. These high performance gensets are the most environmentally friendly naval gensets Rolls-Royce has ever produced: They meet the requirements of the IMO III emissions directive thanks to state-of-the-art mtu selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems. Due to their variable speed capability, the engines can be operated efficiently, saving fuel and reducing maintenance. The agreement also includes an Integrated Logistics Support (ILS) package. It is the second F126 contract awarded to Rolls-Royce; earlier this year DAMEN Naval chose the company to supply the automation solutions mtu NautIQ Master and mtu NautIQ Foresight.
Paul Röck, Director Sales Governmental at Rolls-Royce business unit Power Systems, said: “We are extremely proud to once again be chosen by DAMEN Naval as partner in this very important and prestigious project. Our advanced sustainable solutions for both power and control of the F126 vessels will play a key role in ensuring the frigates’ reliability, efficiency, and operational success.”
The future of high-end naval applications
Mr Van Ameijden adds: “The biggest advantage of the variable speed generator set is reduction of fuel consumption at part load operation. For DAMEN Naval it is the first time that variable speed generator sets are applied on Naval vessels in combination with a DC Grid. We expect that this type of configuration will be the new standard in high-end naval applications.”
With this contract, Rolls-Royce continues its decades-long cooperation with the German Navy. Vessels such as the predecessor frigate classes F124 and F125 as well as the corvettes K130 are equipped with mtu engines and diesel generator sets from Rolls-Royce. The diesel generator sets will provide electrical power to the F126’s combined diesel electric and diesel (CODLAD) propulsion system. The CODLAD propulsion system provides a top speed of more than 26 knots. The first diesel generator sets will be delivered early 2024 to the yard.
In June 2020, the Federal Office of Bundeswehr Equipment, Information Technology and In-Service Support (BAAINBw) awarded the construction contract for the four F126 frigates to Dutch shipbuilder DAMEN as the general contractor with its sub-contractors Blohm+Voss and Thales. The ships will be constructed entirely in Germany at shipyards in Wolgast, Kiel and Hamburg. The first ship will be handed over in Hamburg in 2028. The contract includes an option for two further frigates.
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matters to connect, power and protect society. We have pledged to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions in our operations by 2030 (excluding product testing) and joined the UN Race to Zero campaign in 2020, affirming our ambition to play a fundamental role in enabling the sectors in which we operate achieve net zero carbon by 2050.
- Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and employs around 9,000 people. The product portfolio includes mtu-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry as well as diesel and gas systems and battery containers for mission critical, standby and continuous power, combined generation of heat and power, and microgrids and is intensively engaged in the development of climate-neutral solutions.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 150 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces and navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
- Annual underlying revenue was £10.95 billion in 2021, underlying operating profit was £414m and we invested £1.18 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc is a publicly traded company (LSE:RR., ADR: RYCEY, LEI: 213800EC7997ZBLZJH69).
Damen Shipyards Group - Oceans of Possibilities
Damen Shipyards Group has been in operation for over ninety years and offers maritime solutions worldwide, through design, construction, conversion and repair of ships and ship components. By integrating systems, we create innovative, high-quality platforms, which provide our customers with maximum added value.
Our core values are fellowship, craftsmanship, entrepreneurship, and stewardship. Our goal is to become the world’s most sustainable shipbuilder, via digitalisation, standardisation, and serial construction of our vessels. Damen operates 35 shipyards and 20 other companies in 20 countries, supported by a worldwide sales and service network. Damen Shipyards Group offers direct employment to more than 12,000 people.
Press contact Damen Shipyards: Hans Buitelaar I Spokesperson Damen Shipyards Group I
Phone: +31 (0) 683 222 393 I E-mail: email@example.com I www.damen.com