Rolls-Royce presents mtu hybrid haul truck concept and vision for net zero emissions mining at MINExpo 2021
Posted on September 13, 2021
- mtu hybrid haul truck concept reduces emissions by up to 30%
- Technologies for cutting CO2 emissions take centre stage
- Microgrids, sustainable fuels, fuel cells and hydrogen engines all part of Rolls-Royce’s net zero vision
Rolls-Royce business unit Power Systems will present its vision and mtu
concepts for net zero-carbon mining operations at MINExpo 2021 (booth 7871
South Hall). The showcase includes both existing products and future
technologies currently under development. In focus, is a groundbreaking new mtu
concept for a hybrid haul truck which could help cut CO2 emissions
by as much as 30%. It is based on existing mtu products and technologies that will
be on display for the first time in this combination: a state-of-the-art 12V
2000 mining engine, together with an mtu EnergyPack battery system. In
addition, Rolls-Royce will present its climate-friendly microgrid solutions for
mining customers and future technologies such as sustainable fuels, fuel cells
and combustion engines running on hydrogen. Rolls-Royce will also showcase its
proven mtu engines for a wide range of mining applications which can help bring
down emissions and operating costs.
Scott Woodruff, head of Rolls-Royce’s global mining business, said: “Our
environment is a critical topic for the mining industry. Mining companies are
leading change and holding themselves accountable with ambitious, responsible
targets to reduce emissions. We will use MINExpo to discuss with the industry
how we can help them reach these targets and achieve net zero emissions.”
Rolls-Royce has a plan with sequential steps for the mining industry:
from existing Tier 4 technology – which already reduces CO2
emissions by up to 6% compared to Tier 2 engines – to the use of sustainable
fuels and new technologies, such as fuel cells and combustion engines running
The latest and possibly most spectacular idea is the mtu hybrid haul
truck concept. Alexander Richter, mining application engineer at Rolls-Royce
and the mastermind behind the concept, explained: “We envision equipping haul
trucks with a combination of mtu diesel engines and batteries; our mtu
EnergyPacks. The batteries are recharged by recuperating braking energy when
going downhill. This stored energy is used to provide power to the loaded truck
when going uphill. This allows us to replace the existing engine with a
downsized one, leading to huge fuel savings and a meaningful reduction in CO2
Rolls-Royce has simulated operations with a haul truck whose mtu 16V
4000 engine, with an output of 1865 KW, is replaced by a 16V 2000 engine, with an
output of 1163 KW, leading to a reduction in CO2 emissions of 20 to
30%, depending on the topographic profile – all with identical performance to
the conventional version of the truck. The concept uses existing components and
will be realized by Rolls-Royce in partnership with customers.
Rolls-Royce is also pioneering additional technologies that will help
mining operators achieve net zero carbon emissions: mtu engines are currently
being adapted to run on sustainable fuels which are made from hydrogen with the
help of renewable power. These fuels play a key role in reducing greenhouse gas
emissions in applications which are hard to electrify. By 2023, the newest
generations of mtu Series 2000 and 4000 engines are set to be compatible with
these fuels. Hydrogen-fuelled engines and fuel cells will also soon be part of
the company’s net zero emissions portfolio, first in stationary applications
(for electrical power generation) but potentially for mining at a later stage.
At MINExpo, Rolls-Royce will also present its microgrid solutions for
mining customers. These are sustainable energy supply systems that can be
operated in remote regions, independent of public power grids. The solutions
combine renewable energy sources with an mtu battery storage system and mtu
diesel and/or gas generator system, in addition to a central plant controller
that ensures electricity is made available in a reliable, efficient and
Under its strategy PS 2030, Rolls-Royce Power Systems is transforming
from an engine manufacturer to a provider of integrated sustainable solutions
for the carbon-neutral future. It has committed to cut greenhouse gas emissions
of its new products by 35% by 2030 compared to 2019. This goal is to be reached
by using sustainable fuels and building on new CO2-free technologies.
At MINExpo, Rolls-Royce experts will give presentations on their plans and
products for the mining industry with the goal of deepening the existing dialogue
on sustainable technologies with partners and customers.
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matters to connect, power and protect society. We have pledged to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions in our operations by 2030. We joined the UN Race to Zero campaign in 2020, and have committed to ensuring our new products will be compatible with net zero operation by 2030, and all products will be compatible with net zero by 2050.
- Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and employs around 9,000 people. The product portfolio includes mtu-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry as well as diesel and gas systems and battery containers for mission critical, standby and continuous power, combined generation of heat and power, and microgrids.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 150 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces and navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
- Annual underlying revenue was £11.76 billion in 2020 and we invested £1.25 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc is a publicly traded company (LSE:RR., ADR: RYCEY, LEI: 213800EC7997ZBLZJH69).