We supply far more than just best-in-class propulsion systems.
Whether for defense and protection, combat, or support, military vehicles fulfill many mission-critical functions and tasks. Our engines and propulsion systems are designed for peak performance. Our portfolio of engine and propulsion system solutions spans the complete spectrum of military vehicles.
With over 60 years of experience in designing and developing propulsion systems for almost all types of military vehicles, our systems are trusted and proven – all over the world.
The full power range.
Whether for light, medium or heavy military vehicles, wheeled or tracked, we deliver the full range of engines and systems.
Highly compact and highly reliable are just some of the outstanding qualities of this six-cylinder inline configuration.
Our 6V 1500 is a six-cylinder inline model with the latest truck engine technology.
Proven propulsion systems like the Series 199 uniquely combine cutting-edge technologies with economic benefits such as high fuel efficiency, low operating costs, and easy maintenance.
The best heavy armored vehicles today are extremely mobile and designed to deliver optimal performance. To do so, our Series 880 engines fulfill these requirements in impressive fashion.
With their fully integrated, extremely light, and compact design, propulsion systems of the Series 890 set the benchmark for powering medium-sized military vehicles.
* projected development
Available on a Series 890, 880 and 199 engine. Compact, highly integrated and extremely flexible.
mtu PowerPack ®
COMPACT, HIGHLY INTEGRATED,
AND EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE.
Decades of experience gained from numerous projects carried out around the world have led to extraordinary drive systems: the mtu PowerPacks®, consisting of engine, transmission, cooling system, air filtration, energy system, preheating equipment, power management, and vehicle integrated features. Compact, highly integrated, and extremely flexible, this drive solution can be precisely tailored to the respective vehicle and mission profile. Also available: mtu PowerPack® based on a Series 880 and Series 199 engine. The most powerful PowerPack for heavy vehicles.
- All drive system designs and components come from a single source, ensuring that each component is perfectly integrated.
- From the project start, we are the single contact and partner for logistics and service.
- We collaborate with vehicle manufacturers to perfectly integrate subsystems during the mtu PowerPack® development phase.
Advanced Propulsion System Technologies
Hybrid turbo charger
Significant hybrid advancement - electrically assisted charging marks a milestone in the hybridization of engines and propulsion systems, a field in which we have extensive experience. E-charging leads the way for the development of even more agile and fuel-efficient military vehicles. The system increases the acceleration capability of engines and load response capabilities while reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
- The powerful magnet situated upstream of the compressor rotor wheel enables faster charge air pressure buildup.
- The electrical winding is integrated into the compressor housing.
- Through the large gap between the magnet and winding, air intake is unobstructed to better cool the electrical components.
Advanced Propulsion System Technologies
Hybrid system solutions
Integrating two power systems into one. We have extensive experience in the hybridization of land defense vehicles. We offer a complete portfolio of highly integrated hybrid propulsion system solutions specifically designed for military vehicles. The transmission combines the diesel engine with a newly developed e-propulsion module.
Advantages of hybrid solutions in military applications:
- Silent operation modes (e.g. silent move and silent watch) offer tactical advantages.
- Lower fuel consumption: peak power is supported by electric supply, enabling recuperation of energy during driving and braking.
- Integrated flywheel motor for hybrid propulsion. Can be used as the main drive when the vehicle needs to operate as quietly as possible.