Rolls-Royce to deliver mtu engines and systems for key sectors of China’s industry
Posted on November 09, 2021
- Agreements and contracts signed at CIIE with Chinese partners and customers from power generation, C&I, mining and rail industries
- Power Systems focuses on long-term partnerships in China and “local for local” approach to sales and services, manufacturing and R&D
Rolls-Royce is continuing its growth course in China: Rolls-Royce business unit Power Systems has signed contracts and agreements with Chinese partners and customers from the four industrial sectors power generation, construction and industrial (C&I), mining and rail at the fourth China International Import Expo (CIIE) which is being held in Shanghai from 5 – 10 November 2021. The agreements cover the delivery of several hundred mtu engines and power generation systems.
For the power generation sector, Power Systems signed letters of intent with Chinese customers EPG and SUMEC. EPG intends to procure 300 mtu diesel systems based on mtu Series 4000 engines. These mtu gensets are to be manufactured in China. SUMEC plans to order mtu diesel engines as well as mtu diesel and gas gensets. On the C&I and mining side, Power Systems signed purchasing framework agreements with XCMG for the delivery of 45 mtu Series 2000 and 10 Series 4000 engines for both applications. Beijing Chaotiefubang Tech Development Co. Ltd. ordered 20 mtu Series 1500 engines for use in trains – one of the first orders for these engines for the rail application.
Eugenia Valente, President, Rolls-Royce Power Solutions Greater China, said: “China is the most important growth market for us. The fact that Chinese customers and partners from such a wide range of industries put their trust in our mtu solutions makes us proud. And it proves that our investments, focus on building long-term partnerships in China and our “local-for-local” approach for localization are the right strategy, benefitting both Rolls-Royce and our Chinese partners. As a provider of integrated solutions for power and propulsion, we strive to support the country’s economic growth and infrastructure development. We also look forward to supporting China’s journey towards decarbonisation with our sustainable solutions.”
Demonstrating its long-term commitment to the localization strategy, Rolls-Royce also signed an agreement with MTU Yuchai Power Company Limited, the joint venture between Rolls-Royce and Guangxi Yuchai Machinery Company Ltd. The company will continue to manufacture mtu Series 4000 engines in China for power generation in its plant in Yulin, Guangxi Province.
Rolls-Royce has been producing mtu engines in China since 2006. It recently opened a new test bench at its location in Suzhou. With this new addition, Rolls-Royce’s localization strategy in China is now covering the whole process ranging from sales and services to manufacturing and R&D.
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matters to connect, power and protect society. We have pledged to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions in our operations by 2030. We joined the UN Race to Zero campaign in 2020, and have committed to ensuring our new products will be compatible with net zero operation by 2030, and all products will be compatible with net zero by 2050.
- Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and employs around 9,000 people. The product portfolio includes mtu-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry as well as diesel and gas systems and battery containers for mission critical, standby and continuous power, combined generation of heat and power, and microgrids.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 150 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces and navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
- Annual underlying revenue was £11.76 billion in 2020 and we invested £1.25 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc is a publicly traded company (LSE:RR., ADR: RYCEY, LEI: 213800EC7997ZBLZJH69).