Rolls-Royce acquires yacht bridge and automation specialist Team Italia
Posted on July 04, 2023
- Business unit Power Systems enhances its mtu product portfolio with complete ‘bridge to propeller’ solutions
- Propulsion, and a lot more: customers benefit from fully integrated, seamless solutions from a single source
Rolls-Royce (LSE: RR., ADR: RYCEY) has acquired Team Italia/Onyx Marine, the Italian group specializing in yacht bridges and marine automation. With this acquisition, the Rolls-Royce business unit Power Systems is strengthening its position as a yacht market leader. Further expansion of its mtu portfolio for yachts will help it to realize its ‘bridge to propeller’ strategy. Having begun to collaborate on joint development projects in 2019, the two companies now agreed that the best way to realize strategic growth plans would be for Team Italia to become part of Rolls-Royce.
Team Italia, established in 2000, designs and develops integrated bridges and marine navigation and automation systems – mainly for Italian yacht builders and shipyards positioned prominently on the global yacht market.
"This acquisition is the next logical step on our way to becoming a provider of integrated solutions for the yacht industry. Our products complement each other perfectly, and with this step we are expanding our solutions portfolio significantly to enhance our market position and create further benefits for our customers,” said Denise Kurtulus, Vice President Marine in the Rolls-Royce business unit Power Systems. In addition to an mtu propulsion system, Rolls-Royce can now offer leading-edge integrated bridge products as well as regulation, control, automation, and navigation systems, and many other functions for yachts. Team Italia benefits from the Rolls-Royce Power Systems worldwide distribution network which provides access to global markets and yacht makers worldwide.
"We are proud and very happy to become part of the Rolls-Royce group," said Massimo Minnella, Managing Director of Team Italia. "We strongly believe that in order to implement a structured expansion and maintain the high level of continuity and growth that will secure the future of our company, we need an excellent partner and marine expert like Rolls-Royce Power Systems at our side. We see excellent prospects for reaping benefits together in the global luxury yacht market.”
“Team Italia has always aimed to build products that make complex operations much simpler. By joining forces with Rolls-Royce Power Systems, it is moving another step forward in making the increasingly complex systems that will equip the yachts of the future simpler and safer to operate," said Daniele Ceccanti, Technical Director of Team Italia.
"Team Italia Group has proven its outstanding capabilities – not only in system design and integration, but in software programming and successful ongoing development of its bridge and integrated platforms," said Clemens Berger, President Mobile Power Solutions at Rolls-Royce Power Systems. "These capabilities and cutting-edge technologies fit perfectly with our vision for our mtu NautIQ marine automation portfolio. Together with Team Italia, we can extend our systems competence by servingur Marine customers with a holistic portfolio. Moreover, we can strengthen our leading position, diversify our offerings, and explore new markets to realize profitable growth."
Under its new name Team Italia Marine s.r.l., the company is continuing to operate in the Italian cities of Fano, Livorno and Forlì. Its workforce of almost 60 employees including all managers and key personnel will be taken on by Rolls-Royce, with Massimo Minnella continuing as Managing Director and Daniele Ceccanti as Technical Director. They will be supported by Nicola Camuffo, head of the Rolls-Royce mtu Yacht Competence Centre in La Spezia.
Today, Team Italia systems are in service around the world on some 350 yachts of 30 to 100m length. mtu propulsion will benefit from the specific, innovative solutions that Team Italia develops jointly with the R&D division of Rolls-Royce Power Systems. "We will continue to develop our integrated bridges and automation systems as customized products, individually tailored to the respective systems on board,” emphasized Nicola Camuffo.
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce develops and delivers complex power and propulsion solutions for safety-critical applications in the air, at sea and on land. Our products and service packages enable our customers to connect people, societies, cultures and economies together; they meet the growing need for power generation across multiple industries; and enable governments to equip their armed forces with the power required to protect their citizens.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 150 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces and navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers. To meet customer demand for more sustainable solutions, we are committed to making our products compatible with net zero carbon emissions.
- Annual underlying revenue was £12.69bn in 2022 and underlying operating profit was £652m.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc is a publicly traded company (LSE: RR., ADR: RYCEY, LEI: 213800EC7997ZBLZJH69)
- Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and employs more than 9,500 people. The product portfolio includes mtu-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry as well as diesel and gas systems and battery containers for missioncritical, standby and continuous power, combined generation of heat and power, and microgrids and is intensively engaged in the development of climate-neutral solutions.