Rolls-Royce supplies mtu solutions for propulsion, automation and digital service on the Avemar Dos ferry
Posted on September 30, 2021
- Four new-generation mtu Series 1163 units power Spanish catamaran
- State-of-the-art control and maintenance of vessel with ship automation and mtu Go! digital platform
- Vessel repowering lowers fuel consumption and emissions
Rolls-Royce's new mtu engines, new mtu ship automation system, and new mtu Go! tool for remote service have well and truly future-proofed the high-speed catamaran Avemar Dos run by Spanish operator Balearia. Four new-generation mtu 20V1163 M84 units replaced the previous 1163
units, taking the vessel to a new level of ecological soundess. Fuel consumption – and with it CO2 emissions – are 8% lower than with the previous propulsion system. Furthermore, the new Series 1163 units deliver the same power output, but with a 33% reduction in nitrogen oxide emissions, thereby meeting the requirements of the IMO Tier II emissions standard.
The ferry's automation system has also been renewed: the mtu ship automation not only controls and monitors engines and gearboxes, but numerous other crucial ship systems such as fuel tanks and on-board generator sets. That means that the crew can benefit from an all-round view of the ferry. The new ship automation system brings not only new software, but new screens and computers with interfaces to other systems on board. The digital platform mtu Go! puts the finishing touch to the ferry's all-round update, allowing the customer to remotely access the vessel's operating data at any time, monitor its condition and predictively plan maintenance.
Pablo Vivancos, Sales General Manager at Rolls-Royce Solutions Iberica, said, “The Avemar Dos is now the fourth Balearia ferry to be powered by mtu. Several of these ferries are supported by mtu Value Care maintenance agreements, individually tailored to suit each vessel. We're very proud to be Balearia's trusted partner.”
The Avemar Dos catamaran was built in 1996 by the Austal shipyard in Australia. It went into service in 1997 and following several changes of owner was taken over by ferry operator Balearia in 2008. It
originally served the Strait of Gibraltar route between Algeciras and Ceuta. Now the new repowered ferry plies beween the mainland port of Denia and the Balearic islands of Ibiza and Majorca. The 82-m ferry can accommodate 855 passengers and 174 vehicles.
Besides the Avemar Dos, the Ramon Lull high-speed ferry was recently re-powered using mtu engines – in this case Series 4000 units. Other high-speed ferries, like Nixe and HSC Formentera Direct, have used mtu propulsion ever since going into service.
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matters to connect, power and protect society. We have pledged to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions in our operations by 2030. We joined the UN Race to Zero campaign in 2020, and have committed to ensuring our new products will be compatible with net zero operation by 2030, and all products will be compatible with net zero by 2050.
- Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and
employs around 9,000 people. The product portfolio includes mtu-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry as well as diesel and gas systems and battery containers for mission critical, standby and continuous power, combined generation of heat and power, and microgrids.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 150 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and
leasing customers, 160 armed forces and navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
- Annual underlying revenue was £11.76 billion in 2020 and we invested £1.25 billion on
research and development. We also support a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc is a publicly traded company (LSE:RR., ADR: RYCEY, LEI: 213800EC7997ZBLZJH69).
+49 7541 90 3461